Thursday, October 12, 2006

TO RIZAL WITH LOVE...

By Curt Van de Vondele

Why is the good name of Jose Rizal dragged through the mud like this? I remember the 1990's where me and my good friend Lucien Spittael translated Dr. Rizal's biography into Dutch, so we could publish it in our Newsletter. During an activity at that time I was approached by a Philippine embassy member with the question if I was interested to become a Knight. Well, actually I was! Knowing however how hard it is for Filipinos to receive this honor, I was stunned to hear I could adhere without any exam, hearing, knowledge test, etc. Just like that! I smiled in refusal, but I was boiling furious inside!!

Foreigners are (or were) given the chance to become a Knight without doing nothing. "Yes, it looks great on my calling card, this is good for my business", was their reaction. I then published the full requirements on how to become a Knight in our Newsletter. I don't know if things have changed since then. It is so sad to hear how people used it to their own advantage, and they will even be defended by others... I cannot change the world but at least I kept my dignity and most of all my Respect! I know the real Filipino to be kind, caring, loving, respectful, honest and above all Respectful! That's the Filipino I will always cherish!

And may I say that I'm proud to have my good friends Lucien Spittael and Rev. Paul Zwaenepoel (KOR) who both KNOW the true spirit and legacy of Dr. Jose Rizal!

No comments: