Monday, June 25, 2007

WHAT A HARD LIFE!

Got this e-mail from Dave Brinsfield

In your article, "Hopeful optimists no more!" you asked, "What is happening to our nation?

When I returned to the Philippines after a 40-year absence, I asked myself the same thing. When I was here in the 1960s, I found hope and excitement for the future. My friends at the time, all believed the future would be bright. English was spoken by almost everyone of my friends and communication was easy. Many of my friends were able to go to the US and become successful while others stayed here and became successful. It was a wonderful time to be in the Philippines.

When I stepped off the plane in 2001, I did not find hope. I found acceptance of despair. It seemed to me there was little hope for the future. College educated young people were working as bus boys, waiters, drivers, house help, etc. Many were working on contracts for six months, then would be dismissed.

Today, I see no changes for the better, only resignation that the people will take any job just to put food on the table. It was sad when I arrived and it is sad today. The colleges continue to produce what might be called graduates however, they seem to lack survival skills in writing, speaking and the spirit and drive to improve themselves. Is it because after the age of 25, there is no future for most of them? What happens to those seeking work after 25? What happens to the educations and the work experiences?

Why would a contract employee want to excel? After maybe six months, they will lose their minimum pay job regardless of their performance. I remember a wonderful waitress in Manila. I commented favorably on her ability to wait on tables. She told me she was a college graduate and would be released from her job the following week. Next week, she was gone.

When I see the number of unemployed people around me, I wonder where the unemployment figures reported in the papers come from. They seem to say unemployment is about 10 percent, or so, when I can count a lot more in the neighborhoods I visit. When it is said a certain number of people have found jobs in the past month or so, I wonder who are they counting. If it is contract workers, it must be they count those getting jobs but not those losing the same jobs.

Boo, keep up the good columns. I used to think it was unfortunate your column appears in the back of the paper but those of us who follow you already know where you are and we can find you wherever your columns appear. Thanks.

No comments: