Thursday, January 18, 2007

HOAX? SCAM?

The following message has been circulating for some years now and I'm still receiving it in my mailbox, plus in other languages. The first time I got it, I thought it was so genuine that I sent it to a lot of people I didn't even know in order to see how much money I'd be able to get from Bill Gates. Unfortunately, I haven't received yet a single cent up to this moment.

quote
This thing is for real. Rest assured AOL and Intel will follow through with their promises for fear of facing a multimillion-dollar class action suit similar to the one filed by PepsiCo against General Electric not too long ago.

Dear Friends;

Please do not take this for a junk letter. Bill Gates sharing his fortune. If you ignore this, you will repent later. Microsoft and AOL are now the largest Internet companies and in an effort to make sure that Internet Explorer remains the most widely used program, Microsoft and AOL are running an e-mail beta test.

When you forward this e-mail to friends, Microsoft can and will track it (if you are a Microsoft Windows user) For a two weeks time period.

For every person that you forward this e-mail to, Microsoft will pay you $245.00 For every person that you sent it to that forwards it on, Microsoft will pay you $243.00 and for every third person that receives it, You will be paid $241.00. Within two weeks, Microsoft will contact you for your address and then send you a check.

Regards. Charles S Bailey General Manager Field Operations

1-800-842-2332 Ext. 1085 or 904-1085 or RNX

292-1085 Charles_Bailey@csx.com Charles_bailey@csx.com

I thought this was a scam myself, But two weeks after receiving this e-mail and forwarding it on. Microsoft contacted me for my address and within days, I receive a check for $24,800.00. You need to respond before the beta testing is over. If anyone can afford this, Bill gates is the man.

It's all marketing expense to him. Please forward this to as many people as possible. You are bound to get at least $10,000.00. We're not going to help them out with their e-mail beta test without getting a little something for our time. My brother's girlfriend got in on this a few months ago when I went to visit him for the Baylor/UT game. She showed me her check. It was for the sum of $4,324.44 and was stamped "Paid in full"

Like I said before, I know the law, and this is for real.

Intel and AOL are now discussing a merger which would make them the largest Internet company and in an effort make sure that AOL remains the most widely used program, Intel and AOL are running an e-mail beta test.

When you forward this e-mail to friends, Intel can and will track it (if you are a Microsoft Windows user) for a two week time period.

Try it; what have you got to lose
unquote


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brief answer:

"Snopes.com" run a search on "AOL" and "Microsoft" at the same time.

Longer answer:

There are so many things about this letter that reveal it as a hoax.

For one, Bill Gates, while still a ruthless business person, is currently focussing his efforts on the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation's full-time job of trying to figure out how to spend its money. This has become a bigger job since Warren Buffet recently donated $40 Billion to the foundation. I think they are trying to eliminate the world's 30 most common diseases, or something (Maleria is on the list, I think).

Second, no one wants to partner with AOL. AOL has been hemeraging subscribers for at least five years. Among AOL's most recent survival tacticts, they are converting from a subscription-based business model to an advertising-based business model.

Third, the part about AOL partnering with Intel. I've never seen that one before! Intel is a microprocessor developer and manufacturer. Intel has no internet business at all so a merger would a) not help AOL capture market share, and b) would make absolutely no sense. Intel is way too busy competing with AMD to be the first quad-core CPU to worry with some overly elaborate scheme to save AOL from its slow death. Also, "internet company" appears to mean ISP (internet service provider)--which is what AOL is to those who subscribe for AOL dial-up service. Launching an "email beta" (ala Gmail), would not help AOL spread its ISP busines. Also, when it says AOL is still the most used (as for email, I'm guessing); I think that's wrong too. Yahoo! and Hotmail are the biggest two.(See: "http://www.email-marketing-reports.com/metrics/email-statistics.htm"; See also: "http://weblogs.hitwise.com/bill-tancer/2006/05/google_yahoo_and_msn_property.html")

Finally, the Snopes.com article appears to indicate that the Intel tracking technology, suggested in the letter, does not exist.

Let all your friends and family know about Snopes.com to answer these questions that come up so much in this world of scams and hoaxes. Also, I just discovered "ripoffreport.com" that looks really good for determining whether or not you are dealing with a scam (generally that involves your money).

Hope this helps. I'm not trying to condesending. If you've never been exposed to a particular hoax or scam before, it's hard to know if its real or not.

Best regards.
RJ

Feel free to contact me at:
RobertJohnson05081911[at]yahoo[dot]ca (I spelled "at" and "dot" in hopes that email spammers won't harvest my email address from your blog)